Wednesday, November 11, 2009

How Did I Let It Get So Bad?

I know better. I know all about being healthy and eating right. I know all about nutrition and physiology, biology, anatomy and exercise. I studied it all in college and massage therapy school. You can't be a very good healer if you don't have the basic education and knowledge about the structure,systems and functions of the human body to back it all up. I can tell a client exactly what to do to remedy everything from headaches to joint pain, from digestive issues to allergies. And yet, with all of that education and experience I chose to blow it all off long enough to create disease in my own body. From ease to dis-ease in four short years.

My rationale came down to the facts of life. I had a few personal traumas of the heart and I was distracted long enough to get out of the habit of self care. A few years ago my sister was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, my mother, who lives with me, was diagnosed with dementia and macula degeneration, my three year old granddaughter was born with a life threatening heart condition and subsequent illnesses and a love relationship quite suddenly ended in the middle of it all. These are the reasons, perhaps excuses, for my distraction. Nevertheless, I let my body and my health decline until I was up against a wall. What wall you ask? The wall of pain. Yes Sir. Pain is a motivating experience. No doubt about it.

The first thing I stopped doing for myself was exercise. I love my morning walks on the beach but my reasoning was that I was just too busy and too tired and my energy wasn't supporting me. Next,I gave up nutritional supplements because, well....I don't really know why I did that. I gave up eating healthy, drinking 8 glasses of water a day and getting plenty of sleep. I gave up my regular massages and began working longer hours to take care of others. It's a long slow road from living a life of ease to one of dis-ease. It is simply a physical reality that you cannot deny your body it's core nutritional needs and expect it to feel great indefinitely.

Now there are those of us who also recognise the metaphysical implications of disease. Symptoms are your body's way of communicating emotional problems. My symptoms began two years ago and, again, I ignored them. This, of course, is the opposite of what I teach in my classes. Funny how that works. Too busy teaching people to listen to their bodies to hear my own. Denial is a powerful state of being I say.

Gallstones are seeds of resentment. The expression, "He really galls me." is indicative of that metaphysical reality. Your liver is the seat of anger, your stomach holds fear..etc. Well, when life experiences began to overwhelm me I began to resent the added burden on my time and my energy. How can I be in four places at once? When the toxins built up and I experienced pain in the form of a headache or backache I took Advil instead of sourcing the issue. I didn't take the time for myself that I was so willing to give to others. The consequence of that behavior has now caught up to me. I am extremely overweight. I have headaches and backaches and knee problems. I'm bloated and tired. My energy is low and my gallbladder and liver are inflamed. I have dozens of gallstones. When I look in the mirror I don't recognise my reflection.

This blog is going to be all about my recovery from disease to radiant health, not through typical western medical protocols, but my way, the alternative medicine way, the vibrational medicine way. I will share my journey and all of my experiences right here. I intend to achieve radiant health within six months. I will blog each and every step I take in the recovery of my health.

Blood work will show the progress in numbers along with the numbers on the scale. I will rate my level of energy from 1 to 10. 10 will indicate that I am ready to run a marathon and 1 will tell you that I just want to go to bed and pull the covers over my head. Last week I was at 2, barely. Today, I'm at 4.

I will explore and share with you many alternative healing remedies, some of which I've not experienced before and some I know are basic common knowledge for healing obesity, and gallbladder and liver disease, such as the dreaded liver and gallbladder cleanse. I'll tell you about that next week.

Step one is detox. 7 days ago I gave up my morning coffee and Coffee Mate habit and exchanged it for 12 ounces of fresh vegetable juice. I juice organic beets, carrots, celery, cucumbers, parsley and spinach every morning. The caffeine detox headache began on day 2 and lasted 36 hours. To manage the headache I flooded my body with purified water and I used massage to release some of the tension.

On day 3 I eliminated sugar, carbs and fats, with the exception of olive oil, flax oil and fish oils. I didn't realize how much of an addiction I had to sugar and bread products until I gave them up. I craved them for three or four days and then suddenly I forgot all about it. To manage my cravings I ate fresh, sweet, juicy fruit to my hearts content.


On day 6 I experienced a deep and piercing pain under my right scapula, (shoulder blade). That is a symptom of gallstones. My upper right abdomen is tender to touch and hard. I immediately drove to Trilogy Spa for a massage to ease the pain. I did take an Advil, as well, to help with the inflammation.

From past experience I know some of the herbal remedies for gallbladder and liver issues. Yesterday I started taking Milk Thistle, Wild Yam, GB-Plus, Super Liver Cleanse, Super Colon Cleanse, and Ultimate Omega. I will add 1000 units of vitamin C tomorrow, day 8. I'm drinking BioK once a day and Activia is dessert.

I've lost 11 pounds. I'm past the, "I can't keep my eyes open." phase of the coffee break. I'm past the sugar and carb cravings. I'm past the denial of my situation. I put fruit in my purse when I leave the house and oddly, a banana for lunch works when two weeks ago a Whopper with cheese was my addiction.

Tomorrow begins week 2. Initiating an exercise regimen. The goal is to walk/run for 30 minutes every other day and do 30 minutes of Pilate's 3 times to strengthen my core and alleviate the lower back weakness. (I have two steel rods in my spine from
L2 to T10)

Meditation is now scheduled at sunrise and sunset. No excuses, no resistance. It's booked into my day planner. Everyone else can wait.

I eat every two to three hours to keep my blood sugar level and avoid the "I'm starving. Feed me!" syndrome.

Preparation is the key to success on any journey so I've also scheduled the local Farmer's Markets in my day planner as well. Here is my new work schedule.

6am Spiritual meeting
6:15 Sunrise meditation of gratitude, "Tree of Life"
7am Vegetable juicing and supplements
7:30 walk/run

10 to 12 see clients

12pm 30 minute lunch break....for real now. Not just unconscious and shoved down too fast to know what it was. I sit, not stand and I chew slowly. No distractions. I bless my food and relish in it's vitality.

1 to 4 see clients

4:30pm...Sunset meditation to relax and realign mind,body,spirit and heart intentions.

5pm Dinner and supplements (not in front of the television)

6 teach class

7pm healthy snack.
8pm Pilates or Yoga
9pm Spiritual meeting
10pm asleep!


When in doubt go back to basics.

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, that is so awsome. I'm so glad you are doing this. You have inspired me to start myself on a more positive regimin. Can't wait to see you when I make it out to LA. Hugs and Kisses, Esteban

    ReplyDelete