Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day 22, Thanksgiving Day

Like most Americans, Thanksgiving Day is my favorite food day. Turkey, gravy, creamy, buttery mashed potatoes, stuffing, candied yams and my favorite dessert of all time, pumpkin pie fills me with not only yummy flavors and warm memories, but with an abundance of gallbladder trouble.

This year I steamed broccoli and asparagus and made two big bowls of mashed potatoes. One for the fully loaded, high octane fat lovers, made with half and half and a half a pound of real creamery butter. And, one made with non-fat milk and no butter. Frankly, they were both delicious. I passed on the stuffing, gravy, turkey, candied yams and dessert. I ate my veggies wishing I had prepared something with more imagination. I've decided it's time to get creative. I want more flavor. Today, I'm off to Barnes and Noble to find cookbooks for healthy, vegetarian eating. I recognise that our bodies need a healthy amount of good oils for our skin, hair, nails to be beautiful and our brains to function optimally, so I'm looking for flavorful options to the fully loaded kinds of fat.

What I did notice about my Thanksgiving Day this year is that I was much more focused on the love in the room than on the food in the room. There was a light that shined on my family this year. My 25 year old niece told me she hoped she could be as good an aunt to her new baby nephew as I have been to her. She wiped her tears as she snuggled up to me on the couch. A distant relative came from Kentucky and shared stories he remembered from his childhood that I had forgotten. He shared love back with us he had received from us as a young boy. It was the most loving Thanksgiving Day I can remember having. Did I change? Was the love always there and I was just too busy focusing on the business of preparing foods to notice? I am calmer. I feel less anxious. I feel different. Is it the food changes I've made or is it something greater? Maybe both.

Pounds lost: 15
Energy level: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment